Sample Battle Galactica card
The Battlestar Galactica Collectable Card Game is a collectible trading card game based on the Battlestar Galactica science fiction media franchise. The game, published by WizKids, saw first release in May 2006. Collectible card games (CCGs), also called customizable card games or trading card games, are played using specially designed sets of cards. ...
Introduction to the old Battlestar Galactica series This article encompasses all the media that use the name Battlestar Galactica. ...
Science fiction is a form of speculative fiction principally dealing with the impact of imagined science and technology, or both, upon society and persons as individuals. ...
WizKids, Inc. ...
Two or more players vie for influence in an attempt to win control of the Colonial Fleet. A player loses the game when his or her influence is reduced to zero, and wins the game when he or she achieves 20 influence or all opponents have lost. Because it is possible for these conditions to be achieved simultaneously, ties may occur.
Players primarily lose influence by failing to provide a defender when another player initiates a challenge, or by failing to respond to a Cylon threat. Old Cylon Centurion shown in a museum display in the 2003 Battlestar Galactica miniseries The Cylons are a cybernetic civilization at war with the twelve colonies of humanity in the science fiction movie and television series Battlestar Galactica, in the original 1978/1980 series as well as the movie and...
Turns consist of three phases, with all players working through each phase before moving onto the next phase. The phases are defined as follows:
- Ready Phase - During the ready phase, players ready and restore existing cards, draw two new cards, and may then play a card as a supply card or asset.
- Execution Phase - Players alternate playing a card, playing an ability, challenging, or resolving a mission. When both players have passed consecutively, the phase ends.
- Cylon Phase - If the Cylon threat level of the face-up alert and reserve cards exceeds the fleet defense level, the Cylons attack. When this occurs, each player reveals a Cylon threat, and each player must then challenge a threat or pass (losing one influence) until no threats remain or everyone has passed.
The player who goes first in all situations is the player with the lowest current influence at the start of the current phase.
- Bases - Cards which are not part of the main play deck. Each player reveals a base card at the start of the game, and this card determines a number of factors, including starting hand size and influence.
- Events - Events which have an immediate effect on the game.
- Personnel - Individuals or characters from the universe of Battlestar Galactica.
- Missions - A task or mission which a player's fleet can attempt. Players typically resolve missions by meeting the mission requirements using face-up alert units.
- Ships - Space-going vessels or ships from Battlestar Galactica.
Concepts and comparisons to existing games
The Battlestar Galactica Collectable Card Game borrows a number of its game mechanics or concepts from existing collectible card games. This includes:
- Assets / supply cards - The concept of any card being able to be used as a resource card instead of for its normal use. This mechanic is used in games such as the Call of Cthulhu Collectible Card Game.
- Mystic values - The concept of generating a random number by flipping a card from the top of the deck into the discard pile and consulting one of the fields on the card which was revealed. This mechanic is used in games such as the Universal Fighting System.
The general feel of the game is understandably similar to earlier science fiction games, most notably the Star Trek Customizable Card Game (which itself featured missions that could be completed by having the appropriate traits available). This article needs cleanup. ...
Sample card image from the Universal Fighting System The Universal Fighting System is a collectible card game from Sabertooth Games. ...
The Star Trek Customizable Card Game is, as the name implies, a collectible card game based on the Star Trek universe. ...
Each player's deck must contain at least 60 cards, with no more than four of any one card. Cards with different the same title but different subtitles count as different cards. Players must also supply a single base card, which does not count towards the 60 card minimum.
Cards are available both in a two-player starter set and in booster packs. The two-player starter set includes 62 fixed cards, including 10 which are exclusive to the starter. The 62 cards can be split to form two 31-card decks for two players, or can be used to make a single 61 card deck (removing the spare base card). In collectible card games and collectible miniature wargames, a booster pack is a sealed package of cards or figurines, designed to add to a players collection. ...
Booster packs contain 15 cards, including 10 commons, 4 uncommons, and 1 rare, with a one in four chance of a foil card being present.
- Battlestar Galactica Collectable Card Game Website
- Battlestar Galactica Collectable Card Game at BoardGameGeek