Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is an airport located in Austin, Texas. Its IATA Airport Code code is AUS.
Its predecessor, Robert Mueller Airport, which was closed the day before Bergstrom opened, had the AUS designation for many years. Throughout the 1980s it was clear that Mueller had outgrown Austin's needs, and its location in the city was a source of irritation to nearby residents.
After Bergstrom Air Force Base was closed it was converted to what is now Austin-Bergstrom International. From its opening in 1999, Bergstrom had the designator BSM until Mueller's final closure. This designator change apparently still causes some minor navigational confusion, as of 2003.
Airlines and destinations
- American Airlines (Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston Hobby, Los Angeles, San Jose)
- American Eagle (Raleigh/Durham, beginning Oct. 2004)
- America West Airlines (Phoenix)
- Continental Airlines (Houston Bush, Newark)
- Continental Express (Cleveland, Houston Bush)
- Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, Cincinnati)
- Atlantic Southeast Airlines and Skywest dba Delta Connection (Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth)
- Funjet Charters (Cancun)
- Frontier Airlines (Denver)
- Northwest Airlines (Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul)
- Mesaba Airlines and Pinnacle Airlines dba Northwest Airlink (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis)
- Southwest Airlines (Baltimore/Washington, Dallas Love, El Paso, Harlingen, Houston Hobby, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa)
- Trans States Airlines dba American Connection (St. Louis)
- United Airlines (Denver)
- Air Wisconsin, Mesa Airlines, and SkyWest dba United Express (Chicago O' Hare, Denver, San Francisco, Washington Dulles)