In 1853 Anthony de Rothschild completed the purchase and modernisation of Aston Clinton House and extensive estates in the area. The architect involved was George Devey, who was later to transform another Rothschild property Ascott House. Old photographs of the house show a sprawling neo-georgian/Italianate house with verandahs, and a large porte cochere. A large number of worker's cottages were built, and two schools and a village hall set up under Rothschild patronage.
On the death of Lady Louise de Rothschild in 1910 the house was bequeathed to her two daughters, Constance, Lady Battersea and Annie, The Hon. Mrs. Eliot Yorke who shared it as a holiday home, spending a few weeks together there each summer.
It later became a boys prep school (where Evelyn Waugh began his teaching career as a junior master), followed by a brief spell as an hotel. It was finally demolished in the middle of the 20th century.
Buckinghamshire County Council then acquired the property with the proviso that it be used for educational purposes. Today the estate is used as a residential training centre for young people. Many of the original ornamental features of the extended garden still remain, incorporated into the site now called Green Park. All that remain of the buildings of the estate are the stables, used as part of the training centre, and the lodge in Stablebridge Road.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m