The point lies seven miles south of the island of Muck, with Eigg and Rum a few miles further north. Coll is situated nine miles to the west, and Mull is five miles south.
Near the cape there is a 36 metre tall, pink granite lighthouse built in 1849, which contains a museum called the 'Kingdom of Light' - Rioghachd na Sorcha. It is the world's only lighthouse to be built in the Egyptian style.
The nearest settlement is the small village, Achosnich.
In the district of Campbeltown these red sandstones and cornstones are followed by the volcanic rocks of the Calciferous Sandstone series, which lie to the south of the depression at Machrihanish, and are succeeded by the lower limestones and coals of the Carboniferous Limestone series.
On the north and south shores of the promontory of Ardnamurchan there are small patches of Jurassic strata ranging from the Lower Lias to the Oxford Clay, and in Morvern on the shores of Loch Aline representatives of the Upper Greensand are covered by the basaltic lavas of Tertiary age.
A striking geological feature of the county is the number of dolerite and basalt dykes trending in a north-west direction, which are referred to the same period of intrusion.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m