Yet, no one ever thought that such a name would be given to a city
Alegria which was created by Republic Act No. 5239 was originally the Sitio of Anahaw founded by Pablo Ugay, Ciriaco Efren, Vicente Ugay, Agripino Murcilla, Pio Odvina, Solomon Odvina, Bernardo Orquina, Fermin Ochimar, among others who immigrated from the municipality of Bacuag, Surigao. Sitio Anahaw was situated near Lake Mainit. Anahaw was always overflooded. Every rainy season so the families transferred to a place now called Alegria.
The name Alegria was derived from the Spanish word which means lively. Its name was given by the late Judge Sixto Olga who happened to pass the night in the place. The people offered him a party dance. Because their affair was lively he told the people to change the name Anahaw to Alegria.
Alegria became a Barrio in 1927. It was formerly one of the biggest barrio in the municipality of Mainit. The municipality extends from the boundary of Kitcharao, Agusan, to Pungtod and Dayano that is the boundary of the mother municipality of Mainit.
Source: 1970 Souvenir Program of Philippine Public Schools Inter-scholastic Athletic Association Meet (PPSIAA)
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m