The Utterly Butterly wing_walking display team flying Boeing Stearman PT_17 biplanes
An airshow is an event at which aviators display their flying skills, normally to the public, but occasionally to invited guests, or employees and their families only.
Some airshows are held for commercial motives, gaining income from onlookers or from companies hoping to sell aircraft, but many are held to raise funds for charities. Usually they are arranged at airfields in which case a variety of static aircraft and helicopters might also be on view. Less often shows are held over the sea near coastal resorts. Where space allows, other entertainments and market stalls may add to the attractions on offer at an airshow. The better organised shows and those with longer flying displays will tend to be more expensive and sometimes discounts will be offered to those booking in advance.
Pleasure flights in aircraft (possibly historic types) and helicopters are offered at many airshows, normally before and after a continuous sequence of afternoon displays. Magazines aimed at aircraft enthusiasts will normally include a list of forthcoming airshows in their February, March or April editions. Shows at military bases are liable to be cancelled or postponed during periods of international tension.
The UK Battle of Britain flight: Hurricane, Lancaster and Spitfire
A static airshow is a display of aircraft on the ground. No aerobatic flights are conducted although some aircraft may perform flybys (low passes, usually over the runway). Most airshows combine static displays with aerobatic flights.
- Chicago Air & Water Show (Chicago, Illinois)
- Chino Airshow (Chino, California)
- Edwards AFB Airshow (Palmdale, California)
- El Centro Airshow (El Centro, California)
- Farnborough Air Show
- Hill AFB Airshow (Ogden, Utah)
- Inland Northwest Skyfest (Spokane, Washington)
- Las Vegas Airshow (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Midland Airshow (Commemorative Air Force, Midland, Texas)
- Miramar Airshow (San Diego, California)
- NAS Pensacola Airshow (Pensacola, Florida)
- Oshkosh Airshow (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Paris Air Show (Paris, France)
- Salinas Airshow (Salinas, California)
- Seafair Airshow (Seattle, Washington)
- The Royal International Air Tattoo
Other notable airshows