A list of acronyms commonly used in health care. Image File history File links Wikitext. ...
A physician visiting the sick in a hospital. ...
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is a non-profit organization established in 1876. ...
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a politically conservative association of physicians, medical professionals and students, patients and others, founded in 1943. ...
Bone marrow transplantation or hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is a medical procedure in the field of hematology and oncology that involves transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells (HSC). ...
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a medical organization with a corporate attitude in the United States. ...
The American Dietetic Association (ADA) is the United States largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, with nearly 65,000 members. ...
The American Dental Association (ADA) is an American advocacy group that promotes Oral Health Care and the field of dentistry. ...
The American Diabetes Association, or the ADA, is an American health organization providing diabetes research, information and advocacy. ...
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 is the short title of United States Public Law 101-336, signed into law on July 26, 1990 by George H. W. Bush. ...
Founded in 1898, The American Hospital Association (AHA), located in Chicago, Illinois, is the national organization that represents and serves all types of hospitals, health care networks, and their patients and communities. ...
The American Heart Association (AHA) is a non-profit organization in the United States that fosters appropriate cardiac care in an effort to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke American Stroke Association Web site. ...
The American Health Care Association (AHCA) is an American organization for persons employed in the long-term care field. ...
This article is considered orphaned, since there are very few or no other articles that link to this one. ...
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), formerly known as the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR), supports research designed to improve the outcomes and quality of health care, reduce its costs, address patient safety and medical errors, and broaden access to effective services. ...
The American Nurses Association (ANA) is a professional organization to advance and protect the profession of nursing. ...
American Osteopathic Association Founded in 1898 in Kirksville, MO, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) is the representative organization for osteopathic physicians in the United States. ...
The federal Administrative Procedure Act (APA) of 1946 governs the way in which administrative agencies of the United States federal government may propose and establish regulations. ...
Due to the epidemic of medical errors, readers are cautioned to be aware that the American Psychiatric Association isnt immune to this. ...
Founded in 1852, the American Pharmaceutical Association is a national professional society of pharmacists. ...
The American Public Health Association (APHA) is a professional organization for public health professionals in the United States. ...
An ambulatory surgery center or ASC is a health care facility that specializes in providing surgery services in an outpatient setting. ...
Wholesaling consists of the sale of goods/merchandise to retailers, to industrial, commercial, institutional, or other professional business users or to other wholesalers and related subordinated services. ...
The Balanced Budget Act of 1997, Pub. ...
The Bureau of Primary Health Care is a sub program of the US Department of Health and Human Services of the United States Government. ...
The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) is a United States national health survey that looks at behavioral risk factors. ...
- CAD Coronary Artery Disease
- CAH Critical Access Hospital
- CAHPS Consumer Assessment of Health Plans
- CAP Community Action Program or Community Access Program
- CAT Computerized Axial Tomography
- CBO Congressional Budget Office
- CCA Cost Consequence Analysis
- CCHP Consumer Choice Health Plan
- CCU Coronary Care Unit or Critical Care Unit
- CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CERTs Centers for Education and Research on Therapeutics
- CEO Campaign to End Obesity
- CHAMPUS Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services
- CHC Community Health Center
- CHMIS Community Health Management Information System
- CMA Cost Minimization Analysis
- CME Continuing Medical Education
- CMHC Community Mental Health Center
- CMP Competitive Medical Plan
- CMS Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- CNA Certified Nursing Assistant
- COB Coordination of Benefits
- COG Council of Governments
- COI Cost of Illness Analysis
- COLA cost of living allowance
- CON Certificate of Need
- CONQUEST Computerized Needs-Oriented Quality Measurement Evaluation System
- COPC Community Oriented Primary Care
- COPD Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- COTH Council of Teaching Hospitals
- CPA Certified Public Accountant
- CPHA Commission on Professional and Hospital Activities
- CPI Consumer Price Index
- CPOE Computerized Physician Order Entry or Computerized Prescription Order Entry
- CPR Customary, Prevailing, and Reasonable or Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- CPT-4 Current Procedural Terminology, Forth Edition
- CQuIPS Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
- CRVS California Relative Value Studies
- CT Computerized Tomographic (scanners)
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease (CAD) and atherosclerotic heart disease, is the end result of the accumulation of atheromatous plaques within the walls of the arteries that supply the myocardium (the muscle of the heart). ...
- DD Developmental Disability
- DDS Doctor of Dental Surgery
- DEA Drug Enforcement Agency
- DDM Doctor of Dental Medicine
- DHHS Department of Health and Human Services
- DME Durable Medical Equipment
- DMO Disease Management Organization
- DO Doctor of Osteopathy
- DRG Diagnosis Related Group
- DSH Disproportionate Share Hospital
- DTC Direct to Consumer
- DUR Drug Utilization Review
- DVM Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Evidence-based medicine (EBM) or scientific medicine is an attempt to apply more uniformly the standards of evidence gained from the scientific method to certain aspects of medical practice. ...
The examples and perspective in this article or section may not represent a worldwide view. ...
EPA redirects here. ...
The emergency room is the American English term for a room, or group of rooms, within a hospital that is designed for the treatment of urgent and medical emergencies. ...
âFDAâ redirects here. ...
Tax rates around the world Tax revenue as % of GDP Part of the Taxation series The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax, a kind of payroll tax, is a United States employment tax imposed in an equal amount on employees and employers to fund federal programs for retirees, the disabled...
| logo_caption = | seal = US-FederalTradeCommission-Seal. ...
This article is about GDP in the context of economics. ...
See drugs, medication, and pharmacology for substances that are used to treat patients. ...
General Accounting Office headquarters, Washington, D.C. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) is the non-partisan audit, evaluation, and investigative arm of Congress, and an agency in the Legislative Branch of the United States Government. ...
A general practitioner (GP), family physician or family practitioner (FP) is a medical doctor who provides primary care. ...
- HCBS Home and Community Based Services
- HCFA Health Care Financing Association (Precursor to CMS)
- HCUP-QIs Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Quality Indicators
- HEDIS Health Plan Employer Data and Information Set
- HIFA Health Insurance Flexibility and Accountability
- HIPAA Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- HIPC Health Insurance Purchasing Cooperative
- HMO Health Maintenance Organization
- HMSA Health Manpower Shortage Area
- HPSAs Health Professional Shortage Areas
- HRQL Health Related Quality of Life
- HRSA Health Resources and Services Administration
- HSA Health Systems Agency; Health Savings Account or Health Service Area
- HTA Health Technology Assessment
- IADL Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
- IBNR Incurred But Not Reported
- ICD-9-CM International Classification of Diseases Version 9, Clinical Modifications
- ICDA International Classification of Diseases, Adopted
- ICF Intermediate Care Facility
- ICU Intensive Care Unit
- ICF/MR Intermediate Care Facility for the Mentally Retarded
- IHI Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- IMG International Medical Graduate
- IOM Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of the Sciences
- IPA Independent Practice Association
- IPHFInternational Public Health Forum
- ISN Integrated Services Network
- JAMA Journal of the American Medical Association
- JCAHO Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- LIS Low Income Subsidy
- LOS Length of Stay
- LPN Licensed Practical Nurse
- LSC Life Safety Code
- LTC Long Term Care
- LVN Licensed Vocational Nurse
- LVRS Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- MA Medicare Advantage
- MAAC Maximum Allowable Actual Charge
- MAF Medical Assistance Facility
- MAP Medical Audit Program
- MAPD Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan
- MCAT Medical College Admission Test
- MCH Maternal and Child Health Program
- MCO Managed Care Organization
- MEDLARS Medical Literature and Analysis Retrieval System
- MedPAC Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
- MEPS Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
- MET Multiple Employee Trust
- MEWA Multiple Employee Welfare Arrangement
- MDH Medicare-dependent Hospital
- MMIS Medical Management Information System
- MMRA Metropolitan Medical Response System
- MRHFP Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program
- MRI Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- MSA Medical Savings Account or Metropolitan Statistical Area
- MUA/MUPs Medically Underserved Areas/Populations
- NACo National Association of Counties
- NACCHO National Association of County and City Health Officials
- NCHS National Center for Health Statistics
- NASHP National Academy for State Health Policy
- NASMD National Association of State Medical Directors
- NCQA National Committee for Quality Assurance
- NGA National Governors Association
- NGC National Guidelines Clearinghouse
- NHSC National Health Savings Corps
- NICU Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- NIH National Institutes of Health
- NIMH National Institute of Mental Health
- NIOSH National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- NLM National Library of Medicine
- NMA Nigerian Medical Association
- NP Nurse Practitioner
- NPRM Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- NPS National Pharmaceutical Stockpile
- NRHA National Rural Health Association
- OAA Old Age Assistance
- OASDHI Old Age Survivors, Disability, and Health Insurance Program
- OBRA Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act
- ODS Organized Delivery System
- OMB Office of Management and Budget
- OPD Outpatient Department
- OPHP Office of Public Health Preparedness
- OSHA Occupational Health and Safety Administration
- PA Physician Assistant
- PAHO Pan American Health Organization
- PBM Pharmacy Benefits Manager
- PCCM Primary Care Case Management
- PCP Primary Care Physician
- PDI Professional Development Institute
- PDP Prescription Drug Plan
- PHO Physician-Hospital Organization
- PHS Public Health Service
- PIAPHP Partners in Information Access for Public Health Professionals
- PMPM Per Member Per Month
- PPA Preferred Provider Arrangement
- PPO Preferred Provider Organization
- PPS Prospective Payment System
- PSN Provider Sponsored Network
- PSO Provider Sponsored Organization
- QALY Quality Adjusted Life Year
- QAPI Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement Program
- QARI Quality Assurance Reform Initiative
- QIO Quality Improvement Organization
- QISMC Quality Improvement System for Managed Care
- QuIC Quality Interagency Coordination Task Force
- RAN Rural Area Computer Network
- RBRVS Resource-Based Relative Value Scale
- RCT Randomized Clinical Trial or Randomized Controlled Trial
- RHC Rural Health Clinic
- RRC Rural Referral Centers
- RWJF Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is one of the worlds biggest philanthropic organizations and the fifth largest in the United States. ...
- SAMSHA Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- SCH Sole Community Hospitals
- SCHIP State Children’s Health Insurance Program
- SDMC Statistical and Data Management Center
- SFDA State Food and Drug Administration
- SHEA State Health Expenditure Account
- SNF Skilled Nursing Facility
- SSI Supplemental Security Income
- SSRI Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor
The State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA Simplified Chinese: ) is founded on the basis of the State Drug Administration. ...
- TANF Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
- TUBE Totally Unnecessary Breast Examination
- TPA Third Party Administrator
UNICEF Flag The United Nations Childrens Fund (or UNICEF) was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946 to provide emergency food and healthcare to children in countries that had been devastated by World War II. In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the UN...
- VIRHN Vertically Integrated Rural Health Network
WHO redirects here. ...
This article is about the U.S. Army medical research institute (not the hospital). ...